Thursday, October 15, 2009

please go away

And in this weeks "I hate politicians" running series...

I think I got the likeness. Maybe not. I can never tell. I did some initial sketching for this and had a really rough piece. I thought to myself "That is fantastic! It's simple and right on." I looked at it the next day and it was, in reality, truly awful. Thank goodness I didn't show anyone else. I feel better with this but who knows how long that will last. I often feel like everything I do is tired and unoriginal, I think it has a lot to do with the fact that it's all coming out of my head and I already know all of my own tricks. Maybe all artists deal with the same thing?
My dad actually likes Jimmy Carter, I know, I don't want to talk about it.

6 comments:

Mary Bullock said...

You got a great likeness, Dave. But I know exactly how you feel about your artwork - it is a conundrum, isn't it. And don't be too hard on your Dad.

Lash LeRoux said...

Hey, Dave, I think you know I’m a huge admirer of your art. As someone on the outside looking in at your work, I hope you won’t mind if I say the following: don’t let feeling bored and unchallenged deceive you into thinking your work is “tired and unoriginal”. There’s a huge difference. I understand your frustrations, but I think artists have to master the skills they are good at before they can challenge themselves to try new things and grow. Perhaps you’re at that crossroad, ready to take your work to a higher level.

Lash LeRoux said...

BTW, this is a great piece. I love the texture in the face.

Castor said...

looks good!

Paul Moyse said...

This is awesome Dave!

SEILER said...

Has a nice look to it, what was it for?