Monday, January 19, 2009

Pennsylvania field

A landscape, obviously.
I feel landscapes are my weakest point. I naturally am inclined to do artwork of something like people, because it is so difficult and makes me work to capture it accurately. I think I have more of an analytical mind that makes landscapes that are so random extremely difficult for me to reproduce. This is maybe the first I've ever done that I have been mildly satisfied with, we'll see if that holds up.

Also notice the black and white painting two posts down has been updated with a better representative image. The old image was taken too close which gave me kind of a wall-eye view that I tried to warp back into place but I noticed some subtle but annoying distortions in the face. You may not notice a difference but it is better, trust me.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree. SImplifying a landscape is got to me one of the hardest things to do. I am always forcing myself to think simpler than I think I need to.

I think yours turned out nicely. I especially like the transparent foreground. It reminds me of a Richard Schmid-like look.

Alberto Abril said...

Lovely ..!

John Hinderliter said...

I feel the same way about landscapes. Give me something solid and definite to paint any day. You can see what I mean on my painting blogspot http://johnhinderliter.blogspot.com/

Mary Bullock said...

I agree Dave - I mainly paint figures and have been trying to paint more landscapes - very frustrating! It seems that a person has to approach a landscape from an entirely different part of the brain.
Mary
The Figurative Realm of Mary Bullock

TSL said...

David, I have a question for you. Why isn't your name under Great Living Artists? ;-)

David Malan said...

Ha! Thanks Tina but surely you jest.
Hopefully someday.

Tom Scholes said...

Real nice. When were you in Pennsylvania?

David Malan said...

Always Tom, my parents live there so once or twice a year this is out by NC Wyeths house.

SEILER said...

I think this turned out quite well . . . looks very photo realistic!