Monday, July 28, 2008

Obligatory Thom York drawing

One right of passage of every young artist is a crazy drawing/painting/installation of Thom York the singer of Radiohead. His music is just too inspiring, and his face to interesting to pass up. Here's a nice one by Jason Seiler.
If you want a challenge with your drawings, try human faces that are upside down or at an odd angle. It forces you to measure and makes it hard to use some of the crutches that you may have unknowingly developed. There are also subtle distortions that I notice consistently reappearing in my drawings. I've always wondered if that had some relation to the dimensions of my face. Maybe you've heard the Leonardo/Mona Lisa speculation. I've learned a periodic return to more precise measuring helps me recognize these flaws and adjust accordingly.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

its brilliant by the way.
this drawing ,draw by which pen : hb, b2, b6 ...?
hesam

David Malan said...

Thanks. It's a mechanical pencil with .03 lead size, I think the lead is probably b2.

Sam Nielson said...

That's pretty impressive. I consistently struggle with faces at odd angles, and I don't think I get them this good even when I do measure.

CONCEPT HUNTER said...

Thank you Dave. This drawing made my day, especially since I have been listening to Radiohead nonstop recently. THOM FOR PRESIDENT!!!

Anonymous said...

Did you use a reference picture for this portrait? In this case, did you resist the temptation of turning the picture upright?

Anyway your drawings are always superb, I've discovered your blog some time ago and I visit it almost daily since then.

And thank you for calling Leonardo with his true name, "Da Vinci" is such a silly mistake... :(

David Malan said...

Right on Hunter,
Thanks Mario, I wish I could dlaim to have not turned it around but I did do nearly all of the drawing at the correct angle. It was done from reference I found in an article.
Thanks you again and please keep visiting.

SEILER said...

Wow, fantastic sketch, very inspiring! Thank you too for sharing my piece, I'm humbled and honored!

Aaron Ludwig said...

Great work. I appreciate your tips and theories, as well.

kencoogan said...

Wow, what a beautiful sketch and great technique too! As for the subject, well, he's unique isn't he? I'm a Radiohead nut!

Peter Breese said...

Fantastic pose on this one, you really nailed the face and the line work is top notch; happy to have found your blog!