Thursday, June 21, 2012

Frills

I came across a beautiful photo lately and had to draw it. I really love to draw hair.
I use a .3 HB lead mechanical pencil to do these. I like the softer lead but I think I burned through 2 of my lead sticks for this drawing alone. It is very frustrating when I get toward the bottom of the stick and the pencil looses its grip. I remember as a kid I had a light touch with the pencil, I would do the drawings pretty light then give them to my brother who would fill in all the dark areas with really strong strokes, these days I am stuck doing them myself.

14 comments:

Thiago CTRL+ALT+ROCK said...

Awesome!!!

Thiago CTRL+ALT+ROCK said...

It is very perfectly!

Anonymous said...

Incredibly sweet :).
Stay inspired!

Susan said...

This is beautiful. What's the actual size of the drawing?

pibby said...

Nice sketch!

David Malan said...

Thanks all,
Suzy, this is most of a 9"x12" sketchbook page.

Arto Isotalo said...

Wow, wonderful drawing!

The Art of Kim Kincaid said...

One of your bests! Someone you know?

Jason Newkirk said...

really nice piece Dave!

T.W.BEVERIDGE said...

love the line work!!!! the hair is sick!!

Victoria on Okinawa said...

Fantastic as always! I love the energy of your line work! so alive!

Fitzzz said...

Nice job on the hair and frills but the hands are to be admired, not an easy pose but you've done it very well

Unknown said...

I love your rendition of the hair. Over all, it's superb.

Rory Jobson said...

i love this so much.